How to Use Shaving Soap [2020 update]
Shaving soap is very easy to use and will lubricate your skin and soften hair. Shaving soap is a natural shaving product that typically does not have synthetic chemicals that can be harmful to your skin and the environment. It makes shaving a very pleasant experience. There are many soap brands and scents to choose from.
Shaving soap comes in round 3″ pucks or discs and rectangular bars. The pucks are made to fit in the bottom of a shaving cup or bowl and makes it really easy to create a lather.
Shaving soaps are made with few ingredients like glycerin, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, tallow, potassium hydroxide, palm oil, shea butter, stearic acid and fragrance. So they are healthy and good for your skin.
In order to create a shaving lather from soap, you will need a cup or bowl and a shaving brush.
First place the shaving soap puck or disc in the bottom of a shaving cup or bowl. You will use a shaving brush and water to create a thick lather in the cup.
Here’s my method of creating a thick, rich shaving lather from soap.
- First, turn the bathroom faucet on Hot until the water is hot. Hot water will soften the soap and create warm lather which will soften hair and soothe your skin.
- Now fill the shaving cup or bowl up to the top with the hot water. The shaving cup should have the shaving soap in the bottom. The hot water will soften the soap which will help produce a thick lather.
- Place your shaving brush in the shaving cup filled with hot water. Let it soak for about 2-3 minutes. The shaving brush will absorb some water and soften. The water in the bristles will help make a rich lather and help soften hair..
- Now, while your waiting for the shaving brush and soap to soak, wash or rinse your face with very warm water. This will soften the hair and moisten the skin.
- After 2-3 minutes, pour out the hot water from the shaving cup. Don’t let the shaving soap fall out.
- Use the shaving brush and swirl it in a circular motion on top of the shaving soap puck. Use light downward pressure to force soap onto the brush. Swirl for a while in one direction and then switch to the opposite direction. The longer you do this, the thicker and richer the lather will become. Usually 5 or 6 minutes is enough to produce a thick lather.
- Use the shaving brush to apply the lather to your face. Use the same motion, circular. This will apply the soap thoroughly to your skin and beard and exfoliate the skin. It’s a real thorough way of scrubbing, cleansing and lubricating skin.
- Now you’re ready to shave.
Popular Shaving Soap Brands
Proraso Shaving Soap
Col. Conk Shaving Soaps